“They will hammer their swords into plowshares, their spears into sickles. Nation will not lift sword against nation, there will be no more training for war.” Micah 4
Dear Friends, June 2018
Every day you and we go about our lives that include family, friends, work, school, prayer, and the multitude of errands that fill our days. If we have children, we surprise ourselves with the things we will do for them and as our elders age some of us stretch ourselves to help with their care.
All of our activities take place on a tiny blue planet that flies through the black velvet of outer space. We are a speck on earth. Earth is a speck in the Milky Way and our galaxy is just a speck of light among the billions and billions and billions of galaxies in the universe.
It is important to remember how small we are and how precious our loves are. Having said all of that, it’s frightening to think about the unimaginable. All that we love, all that we do, all that we live and hope for (our children and their children), can be GONE IN A FLASH.
Nuclear weapons continue to threaten our planet, continue to contaminate all life on earth, and continue to steal resources from priorities that are life giving (housing, education, safe food, clean air & water, etc.).
Our dear, dear friend, Fr. Steve Kelly S.J. has been imprisoned in the past for protesting against our country’s nuclear madness. Four times Fr. Steve and our own Susan Crane (a full time live-in Catholic Worker in Redwood City for the past 6 years) have been part of non-violent, civil disobedience that tries to transform nuclear weapons of death into instruments of life. Susan and Steve have both spent over 6 years in Federal prison for their past “Plowshare Actions.”
As they and others have protested nuclear weapons, the world and particularly the USA has expanded expenditures on upgrading these threats to our species.
Now, Steve and six others (including 5 Catholic Workers) are in a Georgia jail for another Plowshare act of resistance to the Trident Nuclear Submarine system. The USA has 15 Trident Subs. Each sub carries 192 separately targeted nuclear missiles that are many, many times more powerful than the bomb that destroyed the people of Hiroshima. One submarine can annihilate any country in the world. One sub could kill 100 million people or more.
This is not security for our blue planet in the black velvet of outer space. This is insanity. This is immoral. These subs and their bombs threaten all life on earth. They spell death.
As we wash our children’s hands in the sink and tie their shoes on the way to school, remember God (who is love) is our security.
Larry for all of us.
P.S. God bless Steve and his co-defendants. To contact Steve, or to get more information and links, go here. We all need your ongoing love and support.
- Food in any amount.
- Household needs: large plastic garbage bags, backpacks for the beginning of school (filled with supplies for elementary & high school children), lap top computers for school or other useful electronic stuff, Pine Sol, Simple Green cleaner, hand soap, etc.
- We will be giving out Jr. College scholarships of $500 to $2000 in Sept. 2018. If you want to help, great. Last year we gave out just over $30,000.
- Day Laborers: If you need a worker (painting, planting, carpentry, hauling etc) call Cesar at (650) 339-2794. Tell Cesar who you need and he will match you up.
- Transportation: Bikes, locks, lights….cars, trucks and RV’s too…..So far we have given out close to 600 bikes.
- Homeless: warm clothing (sweat pants & shirts), razors, socks, gift certificates for fast food, pads, tarps, tents and camping gear, and foot powder. Someone who could come to our shower program to cut hair, do foot care, or general nursing. (Tuesday and Wednesday morning 8:00 am to 11:00am)
- PEACE WORK: Susan Crane is going to Germany in July to help organize resistance to the presence of 20 USA nuclear warheads that are stockpiled on German soil. We are trying to raise $1,500 for her budget. So far, we have $500.
- ON FIRDAY, JUNE 22, Susan will share a new film on Plowshare Actions: “THE NUNS, THE PRIEST, AND THE BOMBS.” 7pm at 545 Cassia St. in Redwood City. All are welcome.
- The San Bruno Catholic Worker and the Redwood City Catholic Worker are hoping to open another Catholic Worker House for folks coming out of prison. Houses are so expensive!!! We have $600,000 and would love to augment that with another $100,000. Call Larry for a free cup of coffee to discuss details (650) 366-4415.