“I, the prisoner in the Lord, implore you therefore
to lead a life worthy of your vocation.” (Eph. 4:1)
Dear friends, Ash Wed. 201
The above words of Paul, explicitly state that he had been arrested and imprisoned just like the man from Nazareth. Paul was a disciple. He too learned that Jesus gave us a WAY to live rather than a place to settle. Paul and Jesus both experienced the cost of discipleship.
Today marks about 1 year since our dear, dear brother Steve Kelly S.J. was imprisoned in Georgia for protesting (with others) against the existence, the threats to use and the inevitable misuse of nuclear weapons in our world and in our country. Pope Francis has condemned nuclear weapons and called for their abolition. Politicians like Henry Kissinger, Sam Nunn, George Schultz and William Perry have also called for the elimination of these weapons (too bad they retired to speak the truth). Truth is always easier to say when there are no consequences and it is always easier to talk about Truth rather than live it.
Fr. Steve has been in jail at various times during his priesthood – usually for protesting against nuclear weapons because he knows they threaten our species. He’s an unrepentant, repeat offender and has spent about 8 years in prison. One nuclear bomb in N.Y. or Mexico City or Moscow or London could mean 5 million casualties. A nuclear exchange will leave about 130 million dead (immediately) and a global winter that will lead to global famine.
In the event of a nuclear war, there will be no winners – only losers. The living will go up in the air in ash and the dead will be left to roam the earth. Even now, the cost of nuclear weapons (trillions) is a theft from life giving priorities like: housing, education, clean air, food, and transportation.
Steve Kelly S.J. a priest of God according to the order of Melchizedek is famous for saying: “The Nukes won’t go away by themselves.” With these words he invites each of us to find a way to say “No” to this madness as we say “yes” to the loves of our lives. All that we love, all that we work for, all that we hope for will be gone in a FLASH if nuclear weapons are not condemned and eliminated from our world.
As Ash Wednesday approaches, we can remember that “we are ash and unto ash you shall return.” As Lent begins, we can “repent and believe.” We can turn away from death and seek life. Each of us must find our own next step toward peace.
Nancy Galleni (one of our supporters) sent us a great Christmas card that said: “Peace came to live with us, now we have a choice.”
God forgive us and bless our dear brother Steve,
Larry for all of us.
P.S. In Early March, there will be three public events to which you are all invited. The first two are at Vallombrosa Retreat Center in their Chapel (250 Oak Grove Ave., Menlo Park).
- Saturday 16th 7pm (evening) a talk by Bruce Gagnon “Nuclear Weapons and Trump’s Space Force: The Deadly Connection” and music by Pat Humphries and Sandy O: Emma’s Revolution. PLC 2019 event flyer v.weapons
- Sunday 17th 7pm (evening) a movie “The Nuns, The Priests and the Bombs” NPB film flyer 2019d2
- Monday 18th a non-violent direct action at Lockheed/Martin Corp in Sunnyvale (corner of Mathilda and 5th). Gather at 10am for a “Peaceful and nuclear free world.” Lockheed action flyer 2019d2
Lockheed is the largest weapons builder in the world. For details call Susan or Larry at (650) 366-4415 or consult: www.rwdcw.wordpress.com Arrest is optional.
- Food in any amount
- Household needs: laundry detergent, dish soap, tooth paste, Pinesol, batteries, body wash and lotions, light bulbs, Simple Green, firewood (cut), toilet paper, pens etc.
- Homeless needs: bikes, locks, blankets, tents, sleeping bags, warm sweats, socks, pads, tarps, rain gear, etc. Call Susan (650) 366-4415.
- Transportation: Bikes, cars, trucks, R.V.’s.
- Day Laborers: If you need a worker (painter, hauler, gardener, handyman, etc.) call Cesar at: (650) 339-2794. We also collect tools for a “Tool Library” for the workers. (650) 366-4415.
- A house or money to buy a house for a new Catholic Worker Center. Call Larry for a free cup of coffee (650) 366-4415.
- Your ongoing love and support.